WATCH: Become a Youth Rep and Create Real Change
Whether it’s demanding better coverage on the red carpet, holding brands accountable for their advertising, or advocating for women friendly policies, young people are integral to challenging and overcoming limiting stereotypes and norms. That’s why this week we’re excited to share a new video from our Global Youth Advisory Council members about how and why they’re creating real change:
Check it out, share it with your network, and encourage more young people to join the movement by signing up to be a Youth Rep. Together, we can create a more just and inclusive world.
Jennifer Siebel Newsom & The Representation Project Team
#AskHerMore at the Olympics
This Olympics, the #AskHerMore campaign inspired viewers and reporters to challenge and overcome limiting stereotypes around women athletes. With The Representation Project’s support, you held media outlets accountable for focusing too much on women’s marital status, emotional composure, and outfits as compared to their talents and accomplishments at the games. Together, we ignited a global conversation! Check out the full results of the campaign!
Representation Around the Web
“After The Mask You Live In screenings, Jennifer Siebel Newsom says men approach her, crying. ‘There were men in their 70s saying, “That was my life.” Men in their 20s and 30s who’d tell us they no longer feel so alone. And men in their 40s who have children who go, “OK, I’ve got to raise my own sons differently.'”– The Guardian
- Buzzfeed: This Scientist Had the Best Comeback to a Troll Who Told Her to “Learn Some Science”
- The Guardian: Jack Urwin: “We Don’t Need to be the Men Our Grandfathers Were”
- The Huffington Post: Let’s All Remember the Time Someone Asked Sweden’s Soccer Coach a Really Dumb Question
- Los Angeles Times: Sarah Robles and Michelle Carter Redefine “Normal” and Hope Young Girls Everywhere are Listening
- Salon: Olympic Men Stand Up to Sexism, Too — Because That’s Not Just Women’s Work
- Upworthy: Why We Really Shouldn’t Laugh at Those Naked Donald Trump Statues
- Vice: Shaun Ross Talks Gender Stereotyping in the Fashion Industry
- Vox: Katie Ledecky Broke a Record. Michael Phelps Won Silver. Guess
Congratulations to Simone Biles who just won her fourth gold at the Rio Olympics!
Image via The Representation Project Instagram