Thanks To You Thousands Told Amazon They’re #NotBuyingIt
Last week, we asked you to join us on International Women’s Day to use your voices and wallets to curtail hate. In particular, we asked Amazon to pull its advertisements from Breitbart News, a hate speech website known for spewing sexist, racist, xenophobic, and bigoted rhetoric. Hate speech is dangerous. It threatens our democracy, erodes our civil society, and disrupts our ability to see our common humanity.
With thousands of people saying they’re #NotBuyingIt, we caught Amazon’s ear. Help us capitalize on this momentum and keep up the pressure by signing this petition asking Amazon to change its ad algorithm to blacklist hate-speech websites like Breitbart. Together, let’s continue to hold brands accountable for the messages and values they promote and propagate.
Jennifer Siebel Newsom & The Representation Project Team
Join Our Global Youth Advisory Council
Applications for the annual Global Youth Advisory Council are now open! This year, the Council will be made up of 20 amazing young people from the ages of 16 to 24, ready to become up-standers that take action against social injustice. Applications are due April 1st!
Representation Around the Web
“This week, we learned of a private Facebook group where male Marines secretly shared explicit photos of their female colleagues, without their consent. Unfortunately, this incident is indicative of a larger culture where toxic masculinity is reinforced, and women are systematically demeaned and devalued… Let us all — from the Commander in Chief, to the men in uniform, to us as private citizens — foster a community that teaches men to be whole and that values women for their full human potential.” – Jennifer Siebel Newsom, via Refinery29
- Business Insider: A $2.5 Trillion Asset Manager Just Put a Statue of a Defiant Girl in Front of the Wall Street Bull
- Daily Mail: This Daddy-Baby Dance Class Will Melt Your Heart
- Glamour: Chrissy Teigen Opens Up for the First Time About Her Postpartum Depression
- Heat Street: Ohio Bookstore Flips Male-Authored Books, Displaying Them Backwards
- TED: To Raise Brave Girls, Encourage Adventure
- TIME: Justin Trudeau Announced a $650 Million Plan for Sexual and Reproductive Health on Women’s Day
Journalist Shaun King’s message for #InternationalWomensDay #DayWithoutAWoman #IWD
Image via The Mask You Live In‘s Instagram