THE FILM FAQ
HOW LONG IS THE FILM?
The full-length feature runs 90 minutes. There is a youth-version film that is 87 minutes available for K-12 schools, as well as shorter video modules (5-15 minutes) to accompany the educational curriculum.
IS THE FILM APPROPRIATE FOR YOUNG VIEWERS? WHAT IS IT RATED?
The full-length feature deals with mature topics (such as sex, violence, drugs, and alcohol). Common Sense Media recommends the film for ages 15 and older.
We also offer an educational curriculum that includes a youth version of the film, age-appropriate learning modules, and supplemental film clips. The youth version of the film is appropriate for middle school (13 years old+). The learning modules and film clips are suitable for all ages, including younger audiences (kindergarten-5th, middle school, and high school).
IS THE FILM CLOSED-CAPTIONED?
Yes! The feature film, youth version, and supplemental clips are all closed-captioned.
ARE NON-ENGLISH SUBTITLES AVAILABLE?
We currently have subtitles available in Spanish, Czech, Arabic, Serbian, Norwegian, Italian, Bulgarian, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Russian, Swedish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, and Portuguese. Are you a professional translator interested in volunteering your services? Please contact us.
Educational Screenings FAQ
WHAT IS ENTAILED IN HOSTING A SCREENING OF THE MASK YOU LIVE IN AT MY SCHOOL?
Organize a university or school screening by having your school order the public performance rights license. It includes a DVD of the feature film, the curriculum, film clips, the rights for ongoing classroom use, and the rights to host unlimited public screenings on the campus that ordered it.
CAN I ARRANGE A SCREENING FOR MY SCHOOL AT AN OFF-CAMPUS LOCATION?
Because our school licenses are site-specific (i.e. tied to one school’s location), you will need to purchase an additional license for any screening at an off-campus location.
To request an off-campus screening license, please email our Distribution Team.
CAN I PURCHASE THE MASK YOU LIVE IN AND MISS REPRESENTATION?
We would love for you to have both films and curricula! We offer a 10% discount for the bundle purchase of Miss Representation and The Mask You Live In.
IF I WANT TO HOST MULTIPLE SCREENINGS, DO I HAVE TO PAY A LICENSE FEE EACH TIME?
With a public performance rights license for a school, camp, or library, you can have unlimited screenings at your location. However, if you’ll be screening off-campus, you will need one license per screening.
CAN I CHARGE ADMISSIONS FOR MY EVENT?
WILL I RECEIVE PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS FOR MY SCHOOL’S SCREENING?
When you order the public performance rights or streaming license for your school or camp, you also receive a screening kit with:
- A screening planning and discussion guide
- Custom branded Eventbrite page and a spot on our website calendar
- Press release template, local calendar listing, The Mask You Live In film images and logo, and a customizable printable flyer
HOW DO I GET MY EVENT ON YOUR WEBSITE’S SCREENING CALENDAR?
Once you’ve purchased a license, fill out this form with the details of your event. Your screening date and location will upload onto our calendar and map so that people in your area can find information about your screening.
I AM A STUDENT. DO YOU HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PLANNING A SCREENING?
We recommend working with a professor/teacher, academic department, librarian, or club to get a license. School libraries typically have a budget for media that they spend based on staff requests, so if you get a professor or teacher on your side, it should be fairly easy to get the license and plan an event.
If you are a college student, the staff in Residence Life and Student Activities/Affairs can also be great contacts. These departments typically have budgets dedicated to planning events and activities for students.
WHAT CONTENT IS ON THE MASK YOU LIVE IN EDUCATIONAL DVD?
The Mask You Live In Educational DVD is a two disc set that includes:
- The feature film (90 minutes)
- A PG-14 youth version (87 minutes)
- Supplemental clips to accompany the curriculum (58 minutes)
HOW LONG IS THE CURRICULUM? HOW MANY LESSON PLANS ARE INCLUDED?
The curriculum for The Mask You Live In is about one-hundred-fifty pages long and includes sixteen lesson plans for K-5, twenty-five lessons for middle and high school, and a university discussion guide. The K-12 lesson plans come with age appropriate video clips while the university discussion guide is for those who’ve seen the whole film.
HOW MUCH CLASSROOM TEACHING TIME SHOULD BE ALLOCATED TO EACH CURRICULUM MODULE?
Each lesson is 30-60 minutes.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO TEACH ALL OF THE LESSONS IN THE CURRICULUM?
The full program can be run over the course of nine weeks.
IS THE MASK YOU LIVE IN APPROPRIATE FOR FEMALE STUDENTS?
Yes! While the film focuses on boys and men, it covers information that is useful to all students. In addition, the curriculum helps all student build broad skills such as social emotional learning (SEL).
WHAT RIGHTS COME WITH A CURRICULUM PURCHASE?
The purchase of an educational license includes the curriculum and all of our educational resources. Types of licenses include:
- Classroom License: Available to K-12 schools, this license provides the rights for a single classroom to use the film and curriculum at a time (~30 students).
- Public Performance License: The default for colleges and universities, this license includes the rights to host screenings on campus, no matter the audience make up. Those wishing to host parent or teacher events should choose the Public Performance License option. These rights are site specific – for a single school or organization only – but do not expire or need to be renewed.
- Streaming License: Along with the rights to host screenings on campus, this license includes the rights to upload the DVD and curriculum to a password-protected school server.
I WANT TO USE THE FILM IN MY CLASSROOM BUT DON’T NECESSARILY NEED THE CURRICULUM. CAN I BUY A HOME DVD?
Through fair-use copyright laws, you can order a home DVD of The Mask You Live In to show in your class. Please note that this will not include the additional resources of the curriculum or the rights for public screenings, so we would definitely recommend purchasing the educational DVD if possible!
If your school isn’t in a financial position to purchase our curriculum, please contact our Distribution Team.
CAN I ORDER THE CURRICULUM ON BEHALF OF A SCHOOL?
Yes! When you place your order, you can designate the product to be shipped to the school or enter the school name in the notes section of the order page. This helps us keep track of which schools are using the curriculum!
DO YOU ACCEPT PURCHASE ORDERS?
Do you need to pay with a purchase order, be invoiced, and send a check? Do you need to send the curriculum order to your purchasing department to complete? If so, we work with a system called Apruve to process your order. Here’s how it works:
- Select the license you would like to order.
- Proceed to checkout like you would if you were ordering with a credit card.
- Select “Apruve – POs, Checks, Have your Company Pay” as your payment method.
- Click through to complete the order. At this point, the curriculum will be emailed to you, along with an email confirmation with the total amount owed. There will also be a pop up box when you confirm the order with instructions for uploading your PO to Apruve.
- Please enter your email in the pop up box to receive further instructions.
And don’t forget to download our W-9 form.
WHAT IF MY SCHOOL CAN’T AFFORD A COPY OF THE CURRICULUM?
We at The Representation Project are committed to bringing our resources to every community. If 50% or more of students at your school qualify for free or reduced-fee lunch and you do not have the budget to purchase our curricula, please fill out this form. We will try to match you with a donor who is interested in underwriting our programs.
CAN I GET A RECEIPT FOR MY PURCHASE?
You will be emailed a receipt along with an order confirmation after you place your order.
WHERE CAN I FIND A W9?
Online! Download our W-9 form here.
CAN MY SCHOOL SUBMIT OUR TAX-EXEMPT FORM?
Yes, but please note that sales tax is only charged for schools within the state of California.
DO YOU HAVE A LICENSE AGREEMENT THAT I CAN REVIEW?
Yes, download a copy of our educational license agreements. Please refer to the license that applies to your order. If you have any questions regarding the terms, please contact our Distribution Team.
AFTER PLACING AN ORDER, WHEN CAN I EXPECT TO RECEIVE THE FILM AND CURRICULUM?
Our distribution team will email the curriculum and license and ship the DVD in five to seven business days. Expedited shipping options are available at checkout.
HOW WILL THE CURRICULUM AND SCREENING LICENSES BE DELIVERED?
The curriculum and screening licenses are emailed as a PDF.
ARE YOUR DVDS REGION ENCODED? ARE THEY PAL OR NTSC?
Our Educational DVDs are formatted to be ALL-REGION. They should be able to play on DVD players around the world.
THE DVD I RECEIVED SUFFERS FROM SKIPS, FREEZES, HAS ISSUES WITH THE CLOSED CAPTIONING SYNC, OR HAS OTHER ISSUES. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
We want you to have a successful viewing experience, so please inform us of any problems you experience when watching our films on DVD.
We recommend that you take the following steps before contacting our team:
- Research the DVD player model you are using to identify any compatibility issues that could be responsible for the problems you are experiencing.
- If you are playing the DVD on a computer, try using a different software program.
- Carefully examine the data (non-label) side of the disc. Often times gently wiping the surface of the disc with a clean, soft cloth or rag can remove minor dirt from the disc surface and correct the problem.
- If there are fingerprint marks on the CD surface, dip a soft cloth in rubbing alcohol or water and gently wipe the surface. Let the CD dry before retrying it.
If you still experience poor playback, make a note of what type of playback error you experienced and where on the disc it occurred (supplying the time code info from your DVD player display is best) and contact our Distribution Team. In most cases, we will immediately replace the disk free-of-charge.
WHAT IS YOUR REPLACEMENT POLICY?
The Representation Project will replace any damaged, stolen, or misplaced DVD at a 50% discounted rate. Please notify us of the circumstances. In the case of defective media, The Representation Project will almost always replace the item free of charge.