The Film FAQ
HOW LONG IS THE FILM?
Miss Representation runs 90 minutes. Age-appropriate film clips on the Educational DVD range from five to fifteen minutes.
IS THE FILM APPROPRIATE FOR YOUNG VIEWERS? WHAT IS IT RATED?
The film has been rated appropriate for ages 13 and up by Common Sense Media, and the Oprah Winfrey Network gave it a TV-14 rating for its broadcast. The educational curriculum includes age-appropriate learning modules for kindergarten-5th grade, middle school, high school, and university students.
IS THE FILM CLOSED-CAPTIONED?
There is closed-captioning on our Educational DVD. We can also provide closed-captions for screenings upon request.
ARE NON-ENGLISH SUBTITLES AVAILABLE?
We currently have subtitles available in Spanish, French, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Swedish, and Serbian through digital SRT files. Please contact us to obtain a copy of the subtitles for your screening.
Are you a professional translator interested in volunteering your services? Please contact us.
Educational Screenings FAQ
WHAT IS ENTAILED IN HOSTING A SCREENING OF MISS REPRESENTATION AT MY SCHOOL?
Organize a university or school screening by having your school order the public performance rights license. It includes a DVD of the feature film, the curriculum, film clips, the rights for ongoing classroom use, and the rights to host unlimited public screenings on the campus that ordered it.
CAN I ARRANGE A SCREENING FOR MY SCHOOL AT AN OFF-CAMPUS LOCATION?
Because our school licenses are site-specific (i.e. tied to one school’s location), you will need to purchase an additional license for any screening at an off-campus location.
To request an off-campus screening license, please email our Distribution Team.
CAN I PURCHASE MISS REPRESENTATION AND THE MASK YOU LIVE IN?
We would love for you to have both films and curricula! We offer a 10% discount for the bundle purchase of Miss Representation and The Mask You Live In.
IF I WANT TO HOST MULTIPLE SCREENINGS, DO I HAVE TO PAY A LICENSE FEE EACH TIME?
With a public performance rights license for a school, camp, or library, you can have unlimited screenings at your location. However, if you’ll be screening off-campus, you will need one license per screening.
CAN I CHARGE ADMISSIONS FOR MY EVENT?
WILL I RECEIVE PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS FOR MY SCHOOL’S SCREENING?
When you order the public performance rights or streaming license for your school or camp, you also receive a screening kit with:
- A screening planning and discussion guide
- Custom branded Eventbrite page and a spot on our website calendar
- Press release template, local calendar listing, Miss Representation film images and logo, and a customizable printable flyer
HOW DO I GET MY EVENT ON YOUR WEBSITE’S SCREENING CALENDAR?
Once you’ve purchased a license, fill out this form with the details of your event. Your screening date and location will upload onto our calendar and map so that people in your area can find information about your screening.
I AM A STUDENT. DO YOU HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PLANNING A SCREENING?
We recommend working with a professor/teacher, academic department, librarian, or club to get a license. School libraries typically have a budget for media that they spend based on staff requests, so if you get a professor or teacher on your side, it should be fairly easy to get the license and plan an event.
If you are a college student, the staff in Residence Life and Student Activities/Affairs can also be great contacts. These departments typically have budgets dedicated to planning events and activities for students.
CAN A REPRESENTATIVE FROM YOUR ORGANIZATION/FILM SPEAK AT MY EVENT?
We highly recommend bringing a speaker to your event as it helps facilitate a powerful, thought-provoking discussion on topics addressed in the film. Through our speakers program, you can invite the filmmaker, experts featured in the film, our staff, and trained professional representatives to attend your event. While there, our speakers can help facilitate post-screening discussions, give a talk to accompany the screening, or sit on a panel. Learn more about our speakers program.
WHAT CONTENT IS ON THE Miss Representation EDUCATIONAL DVD?
The Miss Representation Educational DVD includes:
- The feature film (90 minutes)
- Supplemental clips to accompany the curriculum (58 minutes)
HOW LONG IS THE CURRICULUM? HOW MANY LESSON PLANS ARE INCLUDED?
The curriculum for Miss Representation is around one hundred pages long and includes thirteen lesson plans for K-5th grade students, sixteen lessons for middle school, and twenty one lessons for high school and post-secondary students, along with age appropriate video clips.
HOW MUCH CLASSROOM TEACHING TIME SHOULD BE ALLOCATED TO EACH CURRICULUM MODULE?
Each lesson is 30-60 minutes.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO TEACH ALL OF THE LESSONS IN THE CURRICULUM?
The program is designed as a 9-week course but can be adapted.
IS Miss Representation APPROPRIATE FOR MALE STUDENTS?
Yes! While the film focuses on women and girls, it covers information that is useful to all students. In addition, the curriculum helps all student build broad skills such as media literacy.
WHAT RIGHTS COME WITH A CURRICULUM PURCHASE?
The purchase of an educational license includes the curriculum and all of our educational resources. Types of licenses include:
- Classroom License: Available to K-12 schools, this license provides the rights for a single classroom to use the film and curriculum at a time (~30 students).
- Public Performance License: The default for colleges and universities, this license includes the rights to host screenings on campus, no matter the audience make up. Those wishing to host parent or teacher events should choose the Public Performance License option. These rights are site specific – for a single school or organization only – but do not expire or need to be renewed.
- Streaming License: Along with the rights to host screenings on campus, this license includes the rights to upload the DVD and curriculum to a password-protected school server.
I WANT TO USE THE FILM IN MY CLASSROOM BUT DON’T NECESSARILY NEED THE CURRICULUM. CAN I BUY A HOME DVD?
Through fair-use copyright laws, you can order a home DVD of Miss Representation to show in your class. Please note that when your order a home DVD, you do not receive the additional resources of the curriculum or the rights for public screenings, so we would definitely recommend purchasing the educational DVD if possible!
If your school isn’t in a financial position to purchase our curriculum, please contact our Distribution Team.
CAN I ORDER THE CURRICULUM ON BEHALF OF A SCHOOL?
Yes! When you place your order, you can designate the product to be shipped to the school or enter the school name in the notes section of the order page. This helps us keep track of which schools are using the curriculum!
DO YOU ACCEPT PURCHASE ORDERS?
Do you need to pay with a purchase order, be invoiced, and send a check? Do you need to send the curriculum order to your purchasing department to complete? If so, we work with a system called Apruve to process your order. Here’s how it works:
- Select the license you would like to order (above).
- Proceed to checkout like you would if you were ordering with a credit card.
- Select “Apruve – POs, Checks, Have your Company Pay” as your payment method.
- Click through to complete the order. At this point, the curriculum will be emailed to you, along with an email confirmation with the total amount owed. There will also be a pop up box when you confirm the order with instructions for uploading your PO to Apruve.
- Please enter your email in the pop up box to receive further instructions.
And don’t forget to download our W-9 form!
CAN I GET A RECEIPT FOR MY PURCHASE?
You will be emailed a receipt along with an order confirmation after you place your order.
WHERE CAN I FIND A W9?
Online! Download our W-9 form here.
CAN MY SCHOOL SUBMIT OUR TAX-EXEMPT FORM?
Yes, but please note that sales tax is only charged for schools within the state of California.
DO YOU HAVE A LICENSE AGREEMENT THAT I CAN REVIEW?
Yes, download a copy of our educational license agreements. Please refer to the license that applies to your order. If you have any questions regarding the terms, please contact our Distribution Team.
AFTER PLACING AN ORDER, WHEN CAN I EXPECT TO RECEIVE THE FILM AND CURRICULUM?
Our distribution team will email the curriculum and license and ship the DVD in five to seven business days. Expedited shipping options are available at checkout.
HOW WILL THE CURRICULUM AND SCREENING LICENSES BE DELIVERED?
The curriculum and screening licenses are emailed as a PDF.
ARE YOUR DVDS REGION ENCODED? ARE THEY PAL OR NTSC?
Our Educational DVDs are formatted to be ALL-REGION. They should be able to play on DVD players around the world.
THE DVD I RECEIVED SUFFERS FROM SKIPS, FREEZES, HAS ISSUES WITH THE CLOSED CAPTIONING SYNC, OR HAS OTHER ISSUES. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
We want you to have a successful viewing experience, so please inform us of any problems you experience when watching our films on DVD.
We recommend that you take the following steps before contacting our team:
- Research the DVD player model you are using to identify any compatibility issues that could be responsible for the problems you are experiencing.
- If you are playing the DVD on a computer, try using a different software program.
- Carefully examine the data (non-label) side of the disc. Often times gently wiping the surface of the disc with a clean, soft cloth or rag can remove minor dirt from the disc surface and correct the problem.
- If there are fingerprint marks on the CD surface, dip a soft cloth in rubbing alcohol or water and gently wipe the surface. Let the CD dry before retrying it.
If you still experience poor playback, make a note of what type of playback error you experienced and where on the disc it occurred (supplying the time code info from your DVD player display is best) and contact our Distribution Team. In most cases, we will immediately replace the disk free-of-charge.
WHAT IS YOUR REPLACEMENT POLICY?
The Representation Project will replace any damaged, stolen, or misplaced DVD at a 50% discounted rate. Please notify us of the circumstances. In the case of defective media, The Representation Project will almost always replace the item free of charge.